While catching up with your friends at dinner, you come up with all kinds of crazy ideas for the next fun trip. Cuba, Thailand, Iceland…but where do you go from here to make these wild ideas come alive?
Many of these conversations come up all the time with friends and family, but not many plans actually come to life for reasons like:
- Flights are too expensive.
- Not everyone can find the time out of their busy lives to go.
- You don’t know where to go and how to begin your planning.
With just a little bit of extra effort and an open mind, these obstacles can easily be hurdled! There are many outlets to traveling and having a great time on your next adventure. Here are some first questions to ask when you are considering planning your own trip:
- When do you want to go on your trip?
- More so than WHERE you want to go, it is important to know when you are realistically available to go on a trip. While it’s ideal to be flexible on these dates, it gives you a good starting point on where you can go on a budget.
- How long do you want your trip to be?
- The duration of your trip is important to consider so that you get the most out of your next trip. If you are only going away for a long holiday weekend, then you may not want to take a longer flight or drive to your destination.
- What do you want to do on your next trip?
- Remember that depending on what you want to get out of your trip, your destinations can drastically change. If you’ve been overstressed at work, maybe all you want to do is relax on a beach – then an adventure in Iceland may not exactly be the best destination for your plans.
- Who is going on your next trip?
- As you can probably imagine, the participants of your trip will affect your plans. Depending on how many people are going, your travel, accommodation, and local transportation plans will change (hotel costs, rental cars, trains, etc.). This has a great impact on your budget, wherever you are planning on traveling.
- Finally, where do you want to go?
- Especially if you are planning with a group, don’t forget to voice your opinions on where you would like or not like to go. Consider all of the places you’ve looked through Instagram and thought, “WOW that looks unreal, it would be an awesome place to visit.” That really could be you on your next trip!
Now that you’ve considered these first thoughts in your head, you’re ready to plan your next trip. Need help? Here are some tips on how to plan your own trip!